This book was published by Packt Publishing in October 2010. PHP 5 Social Networking addresses the main features to build and maintain a social network application. Reading this book help us to create a powerful and dynamic Social Networking website in PHP by building a flexible framework.
Michael Peacock is a web developer from Newcastle, UK and has a degree in Software Engineering from the University of Durham.
About this book
- Build a flexible Social Networking framework using PHP which can be extended to fit the needs of any Social Networking site
- Develop a suitable structure for our framework, with MVC to structure the architecture and a Registry to store core Objects
- Allow users to connect and communicate with each other using communication with friends list, flexible user profiles, messages, discussions, and much more
- Plan marketing and scaling strategies, to entice more users and ensure the site can cope with the demand
- Packed with real-world code and clear explanation, this book uses an ongoing case study for creating a Social Networking framework
Who This Book Is For
This book is primarily aimed at PHP developers, but is suitable for any web developers looking to expand their knowledge and understanding of Social Networking concepts. Intermediate knowledge of PHP and object-oriented programming is assumed, along with a basic knowledge of MySQL.
What You Will Learn
- Plan, develop, and extend a flexible light-weight PHP Social Networking framework
- Implement a style of the Model-View-Controller architectural design pattern
- Manage core functionality with the Registry design pattern
- Make a registration and authentication process, allowing users to join the network
- Enable users to connect with each other using friend lists, messages, flexible profiles with status updates, and much more
- Construct a stream of updates informing users of what is happening in their Social Network
- Allow users to customize their profiles
- Allow users to post content on each other’s profiles
- Protect your Social Network from spam
- Keep and maintain regular backups of your site
- Marketing and Search Engine Optimization tips for your Social Network
- Scaling hints and tips for when the Social Network becomes popular
- Develop an API to extend the platform and interact with other Social Networks