Typing in column mode in editors is sometimes actually useful. How many times have you wanted to replace columns of text with something? You can do this utility with common programming editors like IntelliJ IDEA, TextMate or Sublime. VIM also has a column edit mode, that is a little tricky to use.
To use it, try to do the following steps:
- Press Ctrl + V to go into column mode so as to select in the visual block.
- Select the columns and rows where you want to enter/replace/delete your text
- Shift + i to go into insert mode in column mode
- Type in the text you want to enter. Don’t be discouraged by the fact that only the first row is changed
- Esc and ESC key again to apply your change (or alternatively Ctrl+c)